This red velvet smoothie is perfect for those times when you want something sweet and fast. This smoothie captures all the colors and flavors of red velvet cake, but it’s made with healthy ingredients such as bananas, beets, and cocoa powder. Swoon!
This red velvet smoothie is made in just 5 minutes and with one blender. Only six ingredients are needed for this delicious recipe. Red velvet cake was a Southern food that dates back to the 1800s.
Ingredients for this Red Velvet Shake
This smoothie’s star is raw Beet. The Beet gives the smoothie a rich, vibrant red color with a subtle earthy taste. Beets contain antioxidants, and it is believed that they support cardiovascular health as well as a healthy inflammation response.
Combine beets and cacao (or cocoa) powder with Hello, red velvet cake.
Frozen Banana adds creaminess and sweetness, which balances out the Beet. When I have extra bananas that I want to consume before they get too ripe, I freeze them. Slice the bananas, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and freeze. Then, transfer to an airtight container.
Dates are a delicious source of sweetness, and Vanilla extract is a flavorful addition.
Blend it with your choice of non-dairy milk, such as almond or coconut.
- The recipe calls for two bananas, frozen and peeled (approximately two heaping cups).
- One cup cubed Beet (raw OR cooked until tender and frozen*).
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (or cacao powder)
- Two pitted dates
- You can add more milk as you need it (we prefer almond or coconut)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For Toppling optional
- Red Velvet Cake Balls
- Cacao or beetroot Powder
- Coconut whip cream
- Chop, measure, and put aside raw beets. See notes if cooking. Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. Add more dairy-free liquid as necessary to blend.
- Add more dates to increase sweetness. Beets can be used for a more earthy flavor or a more intense magenta shade. Cocoa powder is also a good option for a richer chocolate flavor.
- Serve immediately. Serve immediately. Fresh is best. The frozen product can be kept in the freezer for up to two weeks. Thaw it before eating.