You’re looking for another way of enjoying our Instant Pot Smoky Black Eyed Peas, a fan favorite. You may have some in the freezer that you want to bring to a new level. This nourishing bowl will be just the thing you need!
The combination of roasted sweet potatoes with black-eyed beans and mandarin habanero sauce makes for a delicious, nutritious, vegan, and gluten-free meal. This is a great weeknight meal when you have black-eyed beans on hand. We’ll show you exactly how to do it!
This recipe starts with a batch of our Black Eyed Peas and greens. They’re ready to eat in 45 minutes with an Instant Pot, but there is a way to make them even quicker: freeze!
You can freeze cooked black-eyed peas and greens in jars, like leftover nut butter. Then, defrost them for the nourishing bowls.
Roasting sweet potatoes is all you need to do if you want a nutritious bowl.
You can make the Hot Sauce in advance. You can get dinner ready by roasting sweet potatoes and heating black-eyed beans. , we’re in.
- Instant Pot Smoky Black Eyed Peas & Greens
- Four medium sweet potatoes (2/3lb each), halved.
- If oil is not present, omit the oil.
- Use store-bought Zesty Mango Habanero hot sauce instead of 4-8 tbsp.
- BLACK EYED PEAS: Prepare a batch of Instant Pot Smoky Black Eyed Peas & Greens if you haven’t done so already. You can prepare it up to three days in advance or store it in the freezer for quick weeknight meals. Transfer frozen items to the refrigerator 24 hours prior to serving, or defrost them in the microwave or warm water.
- SWEET POTATOES – Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Transfer sweet potatoes to a baking tray and cut them in half. Massage the sweet potatoes with oil. If you don’t want to use oil, use parchment paper. Place the potatoes, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake potatoes for 25-35 mins, or until the edges are caramelized, and the potatoes have some give when you press them.
- If you don’t want to use store-bought, prepare Zesty Mango Habanero hot sauce (we recommend making it yourself for the best taste). You can make it up to two weeks ahead (or even longer if you store it in the freezer).
- If you have Smoky Instant Pot Black Eyed Beans & Greens in the fridge, reheat in a large saucepan over medium heat or microwave.
- Divide sweet potatoes and black-eyed beans between serving bowls. Top with 1 to 2 Tbsp (15-30ml) of hot sauce.
- Fresh is best. Separately store leftover ingredients in the fridge for up to 4 days. The black-eyed peas, hot sauce, and other components can be frozen for up to one month.