Does anyone else enjoy instant hot chocolate? The packets that you pour into a mug and add hot water to, then stir until the chocolatey comfort is instant. We were inspired when we saw coconut powder at the store to create a dairy-free and naturally sugared version.
Only three ingredients are required for the mix. Then, add the mixture to a mug of hot water when the cocoa craving hits! This is the ideal solution for the holiday season. It can be used to make hot chocolate while on the go or as a gift. Let’s make some hot cocoa.
How to make Dairy-free Instant Hot Chocolate
This instant hot chocolate is made with three ingredients.
- Powdered coconut milk- This is coconut cream that has been dried. It can be reconstituted by mixing it with water to create coconut milk!
- Cocoa Powder- For the best taste, we recommend using a brand of high quality.
- Coconut Sugar- Use dry sweeteners to make the mix shelf stable. Coconut sugar is our favorite sweetener, even if it’s just one serving.
- Cinnamon – ( optional ) – Adds natural sweetness and has beneficial effects on blood sugar and other positive health outcomes.
To make hot cocoa, add the dry ingredients into a mug or a glass jar (if you are making a large batch) and mix all of them.
Then add more hot water to the mug and stir again. This is probably the easiest way you have ever made dairy-free chocolate!
- We like Native Forest. If you are dairy-free/vegan, choose a brand that does not contain casein.
- We like Equal Exchange Organic Baking Cocoa.
- 2-3 tsp coconut sugar* (or cane sugar)
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon ( optional).
- 14 cups hot water
Optional FOR SERVING
- Coconut whip cream
- Dark chocolate grated
- Stir the mixture vigorously with a small whisk or fork until it forms a semi-thick, smooth “hot cocoa concentration.” Add 1 cup (240ml) hot water, stirring well to break up any remaining cocoa or coconut milk powder clumps.
- Add more cinnamon if you like it spicy or more sugar if that’s what you prefer. Enjoy right away! This treat can be made even more delicious by adding coconut whipped cream or grated dark chocolate.