Tacos of roasted corn and fried egg with a cheesy, lacy-edged egg, corn cotija, cilantro, pickled onion, and sauce, all piled in a tortilla with beans.
This is my new favorite way to use a fried yolk! This taco is just the right amount of fried egg with corn-speckled cheese, refried beans, Cotija cheese, cilantro, pickled onions, and spicy green sauce.
I’ve been obsessed with these fried egg tacos lately! I have been eating them for breakfast and lunch, as well as dinner.
The fried eggs are just the standard cheese-skirt style fried eggs (which are having a real moment right now!) We’re doing it alone style, adding roasted corn, cilantro, Cotija, and green sauce.
Recently, I’ve been enjoying the following:
- Aji Verde: A semi-spicy, green sauce made with cilantro, jalapenos and garlic
- It’s a spicy, herb-based sauce. Although it’s not necessarily Mexican in flavor, I love it on this dish (and you can get it from Trader Joe’s).
- Salsa Verde – the classic, tasty, good stuff
You can also enjoy this egg on leftover rice if you are short on time and don’t feel like tacos.
How to Make these Roasted Corn Tacos with Fried Eggs
Arrange cheese in a ring.
Add the shredded cheese to a hot pan and arrange it in a ring. I use a nonstick or cast iron pan.
Add the egg.
Please put it in the middle of your cheese ring.
Add corn to your diet!
Yes, corn. All corn is good, whether it’s fresh, frozen, cooked, or raw. Right now, I’m really enjoying the Mexican roasted popcorn from Trader Joe’s.
A little tightening up of the edges is necessary.
It’s not necessary to do this, but I like to gently push those crispy edges into the egg so that it is more contained.
Transfer onto a tortilla.
I love to have the refried beans ready as a bed for my egg. Boop!
Make her beautiful
Pickled onions and cilantro are also highly recommended. Also, I like the spicy green zhoug!
The fried egg:
- Four eggs
- 1 melty quesadilla-style cheese
- One frozen roasted corn (see notes)
Tacos for the day:
- 3 – 4 tortillas
- 1/2 Refried black beans
- 1/4 Pickled red onions
- 1/4 chopped cilantro
- 1/4 Cotjia cheese
- aji Verde, zhoug, or salsa verde
- A nonstick skillet or a cast iron pan should be heated on medium heat. Add your cheese in a ring shape.
- Crack an egg into the middle as soon as it begins to melt.
- Around the edge of the yolk, spoon a little roasted corn.
- You can use a spatula and pull in the edges a little once the cheese begins to turn golden brown. This is not necessary, but it does help to contain the yolk a bit while exposing those golden-brown lacy edges.
- Cover the pan and cook it for about a minute.
- Once the egg has reached your desired level of doneness (I like it when the whites are set, but the yolk is still slightly runny), place the egg on the tortilla and top with refried beans.
- Then, add your favorite sauce, pickled onions, Cotija, and cilantro. The crisp cheese edge. The yolk is runny. The creamy beans with spicy sauce and tangy onions. Oh, my. YUM.